In this episode, entrepreneur and author Jan Cavelle talks about how she started running a small business from her kitchen table and went on to build a multi-million turnover company. She has experienced the spectrum of success and failure, from winning regional and national awards to totally burning out. This is her story.
KEY TAKEAWAYS FROM THIS EPISODE:
- The moment you lose your passion, get out. If you don’t truly care about what you’re doing, everything will slowly fall apart.
- Find people who are equally as passionate as you with whom to work.
- Sales is the backbone of every business but it’s not the only thing to focus on.
- Leads are very important in every business. Go out of your comfort zone and make connections.
- Don’t be afraid to ask for help especially from people who you know can help you.
- When you are growing a business, you need to accept that you need to work on yourself as well. Make sure that you are in a good place mentally and physically.
- Never put yourself last.
- Being a woman in a male-dominated business is hard but not impossible.
Jan Cavelle is one of the first 50 Female Entrepreneurial Ambassadors to represent the UK in Europe. Her early career included recruitment, catering, and setting up a sandwich delivery service. After her marriage ended, she decided to start a furniture business from her kitchen table which grew to become one of the UK’s most successful boutique furniture manufacturers, before things turned sour.
Jan is passionate about helping others learn from her successes (and mistakes) and has authored a book Scale For Success which helps entrepreneurs to grow their businesses from startup to $10M+ in revenue. The book is published by Bloomsbury and is available on pre-order now and will be released on February 4th, 2021.
For more information, or to get in touch with Jan, check out:
Check out Jan’s book Scale For Success on Amazon
Simon Lader is the host of The Conference Room, Co-Founder of global executive search firm Salisi Human Capital, and online coaching firm Salisi Academy.
Since 1997, Simon has helped Senior Executives achieve Life Transformation through finding their ideal job and consulted with leading enterprise software and cybersecurity vendors to build highly effective teams.
Get to know more about Simon at: